Thursday, August 13, 2015

Tangling Radiant Sooflowers


Last Thursday, among the tiles that I posted was my recent exploration with Livia Chau's    Sooflowers.
By adding rays from the center of each flower and leaving white space between neighboring ones, the effect became quite interesting.  


It's great fun, because the white spaces are as much an element of the overall tangle as the pattern itself.  Here are my photographs and a few notes of how the tile progressed in case you might also like to try it.

I began with one flower.  After some experimenting, I found that drawing a total of eight rays first made the subsequent lines easier to angle.  

Those rays are drawn as an X and then as a +.    



From there it is much easier to draw the lines as though they were bursting from under the flower and reaching outward.   The length of the lines is very random.  More interest is added if they are not all the same length.

Once one flower was completed, I drew the center of another, repeated the X and + and filled in the remaining rays leaving space between neighboring rays.


Then, I added more until I was satisfied with the overall look.


Next, I stippled the larger white spaces.  


For a final touch, I shaded around each Sooflower and stippled area.


Do give it a try.  It is a bit easier than it looks and it is very relaxing to draw.

Enjoy!









12 comments:

  1. Fantastic idea and beautiful end result! Thank you for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have a go at this. Thanks for the tip about starting with the eight lines in order to help with the angles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It also helps to add one flower at a time. I tried by tangling all of the flowers first and then adding the rays, but the result was not as pleasing.

      Delete
  3. That's a stunner. I'm going to give that a try. It's fun but I was doing something similar yesterday, adding those sort of rays as detail on Morf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that idea. I'll be checking your posts for pictures :)

      Delete
  4. Thanks for this post.
    It helped to lift my mood today :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! I’m infatuated with this flower, it is lovely and give me lots of linework. Brilliant 💕

    ReplyDelete